Friday, September 21, 2012

Well Done

There's a song that's played on K-Love called 'Well Done.' I heard it one morning on my way home from the gym and it just hit me. Like a ton of bricks, a flashing light, and all other metaphors you can think of. There's a line in the song that says:

I'm gonna run this race
To hear You say well done

I know that I fail on a daily basis. Sometimes I even think I set myself up for failure by expecting too much of myself and others. My personality is a bit extreme where perfection is concerned. I KNOW I drive my husband and kids crazy at least daily if not more, with this trait. I'll blame my parents... Just kidding mom and dad {kind of}.

As I sat one morning watching my 10 yr old spread peanut butter on a piece of bread, it took everything I had to not get up and do it for her because she doesn't do it my way. REALLY MOLLY?! Get a grip is what I'm thinking to myself. Why do I have such a hard time letting go of the reigns and letting people do it their own way? I need to be saying 'well done' instead of 'that's not good enough.' I'm going to make it my own personal goal to start giving more praise and less criticism.

I've been having the worst internal struggle lately. I have things I've stuffed deep down that I haven't even expressed to my husband, which never happens. I've got to stop beating myself up so bad over the littlest things, and sometimes just pat myself on the back and say 'well done.' We're all hard wired to need praise and affirmation, I need to do a better job at remembering this as a Christian, wife, mother, daughter and friend. Sometimes being everything to everyone is a little exhausting, and I need to just flat out admit that I can't do it all, and that's OK!

I want my girls to know I laugh all the time, and not know a mom that's so serious and uptight. I pray that I can start letting things go and lighten up a little. To learn to go with the flow a little more instead of always holding on to the reigns so.darn.tight.


5 comments:

Mateya said...

I love that song too and I definitely get where you are coming from. We all have times when we are stressed and uptight and it can definitely be reflected in our attitude towards our family, but it happens.

G and your girls understand that I am sure, and know that you are happy and love them to pieces :)

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Man I'm so bad at that too. Not so much with Jamie since he's still young enough to actually need the constant guidance, but with everyone else.

I have a hard time letting go of the fact that just because it's not done the way I would do it doesn't mean it's the wrong way. It's a daily struggle for me!

Emily said...

Molly, your words really hit me hard. I too have issues with wanting things done "my way" and I've been working on myself to let go and also ease up on the criticism. It can really be rough on relationships and I've decided I must let go and Let GOD! It is not an easy thing to do.

I bet your girls do know you as the fun, happy, smiling mom, so don't beat yourself up too much! Great post!

Lindsi said...

Molly!! :) I'm so glad your back. My blogging has become awfully sporadic, and I mostly read blogs just from my phone. I had to get on the computer to comment on this, though....

....you are a girl after my own heart! Your words could've been my words. I have been experiencing the same internal struggles lately. Someone recommended the book "Unglued" to me, but I've yet to go get it. I'll be praying for you as you tackle this issue, if you'll do the same for me :)

Modern Camelot said...

I worry about this A LOT, I am a pretty tightly wound person about some things, and I don't want that to ever transfer onto Guinevere. I was really hard on my younger sisters about things (and still can be), and I hope to find a better balance as a mother.